According to Gartner, “By 2025, 60% of organizations will be actively using remote threat disruption and containment capabilities delivered directly by MDR providers, up from 30% today.”
As cybersecurity threats evolve, companies need people and technology to monitor and respond to threats. However, most companies have neither the expertise nor the budget to develop such a resource. For many, MDR is an alternative to scaling security operations to respond to and prevent evolving threats.
This Gartner report will help organizations understand the complexities and requirements that organizations should factor in when selecting a MDR vendor.
Access the report to get:
When considering an MDR provider, Gartner lists that core capabilities should include:
● 24/7 remotely delivered detection and response functions.
● A provider-operated technology stack that enables and coordinates real-time threat detection, investigation, and active mitigating response. Whether it is developed by the MDR provider, an integrated set of commercial technologies that use modern techniques (like APIs) to exchange data and instructions, or a combination of both approaches.
● Staff members who engage daily with individual customer data and have skills and expertise in threat monitoring, detection, and hunting, threat intelligence (TI), and incident response.
● Turnkey delivery, with predefined and pre-tuned processes and detection content. This includes a standard playbook of workflows, procedures, and analytics and requires a minimum viable set of telemetry to deliver services, offering integration with third-party detection and response technologies beyond provider-owned technologies.
● The availability of immediate remote response, investigation, and containment activities such as quarantining hosts and deauthenticating users) beyond alerting and notification, delivered and coordinated by service provider staff.
● Triage, investigate, and manage responses to all discovered threats, regardless of priority, with no limitations on volumes or time dedicated to the discovery and investigation process.
Gartner, Market Guide for Managed Detection and Response Services, Pete Shoard, Al Price, Mitchell Schneider, Craig Lawson, Andrew Davies, 14 February 2023.
Gartner is a registered trademark and service of Gartner, Inc and/or its affiliates in the U.S and internationally and is used herein with permission. All rights reserved.